In the spirit of the new book, Why We’re Not Emergent, the accompanying website, and this post, I thought I’d present the Top 50 Possible Reasons Why You’re Not Emergent.
50. They’re all a bunch of false prophets. Really, that’s what they told me
49. My mother will disown me.
48. I just don’t like Doug Pagitt. He scares me.
47. I heard from a famous pastor that Emergent is from the debil.
46. I don’t like Rob Bell’s hair.
45. The word Emergent is not in the Bible.
44. It’s just not allowed in the Vanderhoeven family.
43. I heard Calvin would simply not approve
42. Mark Driscoll told me I couldn’t.
41. I’m just not “certain” yet it’s the right way to go.
40. I heard from this guy who knew this lady who had a brother who was Emergent and he went blind doing it.
39. I enjoy being a skeptic.
38. I didn’t learn about Emergent in seminary so I’m not going to start now.
37. I like being on the bigger team.
36. I heard you had to take yoga.
35. I’ve heard from a famous prison ministry guy they don’t believe in the Bible.
34. Where would I be without absolute truth.
33. Tony Jones went to Princeton Theological Seminary…that liberal.
32. They didn’t teach this in Alpha.
31. I’m not white.
30. I’m over 40.
29. I don’t have any cool, black eyeglasses.
28. I don’t like coffee or Guinness.
27. It’s immoral to smoke pipes or cigars.
26. They haven’t yet come up with my denomination of Presbymergent
25. Emergents read unapproved books.
24. I’m allergic to candles.
23. I like Jesus but not Emergent.
22. Brian McLaren’s books are not theologically correct. I’m not sure why, I just know they are.
21. I like my Christianity strong and hot.
20. The orthodoxy police will bust me.
19. I’m not uber-cool. In fact, I don’t even know what “uber” means.
18. I don’t understand it and I don’t want to.
17. If it doesn’t have the letters SBC in it, I’m not interested.
16. All they want to do is love. Where’s the truth in that?
15. I’m a bullhorn type of guy.
14. I prefer Joel Osteen.
13. I just finally bought into fundamentalism and you want me to shift?
12. I don’t really want a generous orthodoxy.
11. I refuse to switch to Apple
10. I can’t. I go to John MacArthur’s church.
9. My friends will think I’m a heretic.
8. I already was a New (Kind of) Christian.
7. I refuse to grow a soul patch
6. Hell fire and brimstone works just fine, thank you.
5. I don’t like loud, rock music at church. It’s a sin.
4. Their hermeneutic of ecclesiology is unorthodox, fundamentally esoteric and meandering. It borders on epistemological ambiguity that is really troublesome. I’m afraid it will lead to heretical uncertainty of the most pernicious kind.
3. But then I might have to really have faith.
2. Brian McLaren is the debil.
And the number one possible reason Why You’re Not Emergent is:
1. The emerging church is so yesterday.
Just in case you were wondering. The answer is yes, this is humor.